Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Kindle Experiment

It's no secret I want an Amazon Kindle. I think the potential for the device is pretty great, even if it is never realized. I also think it would be very cool to stop cluttering up the house with books because even though I love the look of stacks and stacks of books, I do move a lot and I'm not too keen on lugging them all around.

And since I blog I figured I'd go ahead and make a promise now about an experiment.

If I ever do get a Kindle I will keep track of the purchases made on it and their cost vs. buying them at the bookstore AND as a book on Amazon.com. This will not be a padded list and when I do buy the books it will be on that day or at the most that week when I go to the store to see if the books is available there (or newspaper) and check on Amazon's own website to see how much the most current version of the book costs. If I'm late to the game and the most current version is an eight dollar paperback, that'll be what makes the list because it will be about what I COULD have done instead.

I'm incredibly curious if over the course of, say, a year, that the amount of money saved would surpass the amount charged for a Kindle.

No comments: