Thursday, December 10, 2009

Georgia On My Mind No More

I've lived in quite a few places and almost all of them had some sort of food associated with them that I love and miss very much. Italy's delicious pizza, New Zealand's fish and chips, Japan's sushimi, etc. etc.

I try my hardest to recognize the area's specialty and eat as much of it as I can while I'm there and look for a recipe to be able to make it myself regardless of where I am. And it used to be that I thought the thing I would miss about Georgia was the barbecue. There are no cajun roots here, no deep fried whatevers, not a lot of "southern" stuff, but they do have a good and what Alton Brown would call "sickeningly sweet" barbecue.

Ah, but no more. A new buddy of mine exposed me to North Carolina barbecue and it's about a billion times (approximately) better than Georgia's. Not only that, but it was made by a Native American, which I'm sure doesn't influence the taste but it makes for that much cooler of a story.

You bet I've requested the recipe.

So with barbecue eliminated, what does Georgia have to offer?

Nothing.

At least, middle Georgia doesn't. There's an orchard in North Georgia's Ellijay where fried pies are made (like the hostess ones you find at gas stations) that are huge and delicious. There's also an amazing German restaurant in Helen, GA that has the most unique pizza I've every tried but I think that's a German restaurant and perhaps I can find something similar in Germany.

Anyhoo, there's nothing holding me back here anymore.

:-)

No comments: